Subscribe
The number one read for dog lovers today
Home Latest issue Forum Subscribe Contact

Dog Friendly Bookazine

Folic Acid during pregnancy

For questions, queries and chat about general dog care and health.
It is important to see your vet in any circumstances.

Folic Acid during pregnancy

Postby flo rider » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:41 pm

Does anybody know the advised amount of folic acid for a bitch during pregnancy? I am reluctant to use a general multi vitamin style tablet which often contains high levels of vitamin A.
flo rider

Re: Folic Acid during pregnancy

Postby Anna » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:54 am

No idea, I heard it was something us humans take during pregnancy but never would have thought to give pregnant bitches it too! hmmm

If you have a pregnant bitch and you are concerned about what you should or shouldnt be giving her, including dosage then I really suggest you ask the advice of your vet as I am sure it will be dependant on breed and size of dog. Only really your vet will be able to give you accurate advice on this subject.

Anna :paw:
Anna

Postby Maddie » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:46 pm

A healthy bitch fed on a health diet shouldnt need to have anything 'extra' while in whelp. If anything, I would give a vitaman B complex and perhaps a vitamin C, but thats all. The bitch should be getting everything from her own food. Giving the 'wrong' supplement or too much of a supplement can have detrimental effects on the growing puppies inside her. I deffo wouldnt be giving folic acid! The bitch should be getting her supply of iron from offal, or as added into 'complete' foods.
The More People I Meet, The More I Love My Rotties!!
Maddie

Postby Kristina » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:54 pm

Health bitch and healthy diet - yes! BUT this may not be enough with certain breeds.

Serious Rhodesian Ridgeback (RR) breeders are very aware, that giving Folic Acid to thier bitch before mating and during pregnancy, brings down the risk for getting pups with Dermoid Sinus (DS). I won't go into details about DS here. Those of you who want to, can Google and find loads of info about DS and Folic Acid on the Internet. But I can say this, that it is a very serious skin condition which can cause tremendous pain for the little pup and in worse case they can die from it.

The condition is mainly known in the RR, but there are also pups born with DS in other breeds, e.g. the Thai Ridgeback, the Shih Tzu and the Boxer.

One of my RR-offspring is going to be mated january 2010, and she will most certainly be treated with folic acid. Recent studies and tests show, that it really helps. And there are no side effects. I have had a total of 4 RR litters and all without DS, and also without giving Folic Acid, but I dare not NOT use it now, whith the knowledge I have, because if I get a DS-pup next time, I will regret it enormously!
Kristina

Postby Scarlett » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:15 pm

Kristina wrote:
Serious Rhodesian Ridgeback (RR) breeders are very aware, that giving Folic Acid to thier bitch before mating and during pregnancy, brings down the risk for getting pups with Dermoid Sinus (DS). I won't go into details about DS here. Those of you who want to, can Google and find loads of info about DS and Folic Acid on the Internet. But I can say this, that it is a very serious skin condition which can cause tremendous pain for the little pup and in worse case they can die from it.

One of my RR-offspring is going to be mated january 2010, and she will most certainly be treated with folic acid. Recent studies and tests show, that it really helps. And there are no side effects. I have had a total of 4 RR litters and all without DS, and also without giving Folic Acid, but I dare not NOT use it now, whith the knowledge I have, because if I get a DS-pup next time, I will regret it enormously!

I am astonished that 'serious breeders' who are 'very aware' would continue to use dogs with this problem in a 'breeding program', more fodder for those who detest breeders who inhabit this forum !!!

Folic acid does not negate the risk of neural tube problems, whilst considered rare in dogs to ensure it stays that way known carriers should not simpley recieve folic acid whilst the breeder hopes for the best.

The dermoid Sinus gene is believed to be resseive meaning the animal must recieve one defective gene from each parent. If a puppy recieves the genes from just one parent it still remains a carrier just as a puppy who has recieved the genes from both parents.

Surely the answer is to remove any known carriers from breeding programs period rather to play russian roulette and mask any potential problems with folic acid and risk the tremendous pain to a puppy as you refer to above?
Scarlett

Postby Cheekydogluva » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:46 pm

Why dont you just ask ur vet?
Cheekydogluva

Return to Care And Health