Subscribe
The number one read for dog lovers today
Home Latest issue Forum Subscribe Contact

Dog Friendly Bookazine

Non moulting breeds

Chat about your dogs and general dog related subjects...

Non moulting breeds

Postby robb79 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:04 pm

Hi everyone,

Im currently looking to get a new puppy probably next year... I havent owned a dog for 2 years and the time is now right for me to get one.... My usual breed has always been the Basset Hound.. But due to circumstances I am looking for a non moulting breed.

My Favourites so far are the Labradoodle and the portuguese water dog However.. No-one can guarentee that the labradoodle is non moulting and the portuguese are really hard to get hold of.

I want quite a large breed and I am not a lover of the standard poodle unfortunatley.

I also hear that the Giant Schnauzer is non moulting but again I am getting mixed responses.

I hope someone on here can help becasue I want to research the breed for a few months before I purchase one.

Again many thanks
robb79

Re: Non moulting breeds

Postby Maddie » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:22 pm

A wonderful breed that doenst moult is the Curly-coated Retreiver. I have friends with two and they are adorable! Quite a calm breed too, my daughter began her Junior Handling aged 9, handling our friends boy and he was no bother at all for her. Very easy to train, nice and biddable too, and very loyal. I believe they come in black or a lovely chocolate colour. A breeder of them lives very near me, dont know where you are though....

They arent the most popular breed, and therefore there arent as many breeders out there as say rottie breeders, but do your research and find a couple of breeders to speak to, whether you buy a pup or not, a good breeder will always chat with you about the breed. Try the Kennel Club website to find Accreditted Breeders, and also they list who has pups available now, maybe just ring one of them, if they are any, and just have a chat etc.

Good luck whatever you decide!
The More People I Meet, The More I Love My Rotties!!
Maddie

Postby marilyn » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:54 pm

robb79 wrote:Hi everyone,

Im currently looking to get a new puppy probably next year... I havent owned a dog for 2 years and the time is now right for me to get one.... My usual breed has always been the Basset Hound.. But due to circumstances I am looking for a non moulting breed.

My Favourites so far are the Labradoodle and the portuguese water dog However.. No-one can guarentee that the labradoodle is non moulting and the portuguese are really hard to get hold of.

I want quite a large breed and I am not a lover of the standard poodle unfortunatley.

I also hear that the Giant Schnauzer is non moulting but again I am getting mixed responses.

I hope someone on here can help becasue I want to research the breed for a few months before I purchase one.

Again many thanks

Personally I think you should get a giant tortoise and let real dog people handle dogs who unfortunatley moult,bark,steal the sunday joint,chew the remote,chase cats,shake dirty rain water over the kitchen units and leave muddy paw prints on the landing carpet.....while at the same time being the best companions you can ever hope to have.
marilyn

Postby Maddie » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:40 am

Marilyn - what an uncalled for reply to someone simply asking for advice/help!!!!! :shock: :naughty:

As he is a previous dog-owner I am sure he is well aware of what dogs get up to!!

One way to put off new members!!! :roll:

Perhaps someone in his family has an allergy to dog hair?? I am allergic to dog hair myself, but its not too bad, and while my breed moults, it isnt excessive and they are short-coated too, which helps.
Maddie

Postby robb79 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:19 am

Thanks Maddie Much appreciated!!

Rob :)
robb79

Postby marilyn » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:41 pm

So now we've designed a non moulting breed for people allergic to dog hair/skin are we going to design a breed that doesn't need much exercise for all the lazy dog owners and then a breed that doesn't eat much for those who can't afford to buy decent food for their dogs and then of course all that barking ....there must be a way to breed that little problem away so we don't upset the neighbours and keep the kids awake....... sorry - dogs are animals not motor vehicles ; we've interfered with them far too much as it is. If you love dogs, but for health or other reasons you can't have them, then give donations to your local dog rescue centre and get an ornament of your favourite pooch for the mantle piece.
What do other people think....?? many readers seem to view but few comment - I notice that looking back over recent entries that Maddie seems to be the answer to everyones problems and protector of anyone she deems as being 'challenged'
marilyn

Postby paul » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:24 pm

wow cill mailyn.
why you having a go at maddie for being helpfull,some people are just better at forums than others.

have you thought about the airdale, we had one for 13yrs they are a good dog and dont shed.
in a moment of joy,we all wish we possessed a tail we could wag.
a dog wags its tail with its heart
paul

Postby marilyn » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:13 am

Paul my love I'm well cilled (or is that chilled) hey if the airdale naturally sheds liitle hair that's fine - tell Jo 90 who started this whole thing off in the first place. They're cracking little dogs. You know what I mean - Labradoodle and, what's one of the latest ones - cocker doodle (doo) ??? --- give us all a break. Perhaps we should start a run of other possibilities -pekipug, rottiuahua, chinese crested mastiff,pomerdane !!!
And come on my boy I never 'had a go' at our Maddie (alias victoria herbert age 38 and a fine figure of a women she is too - page 58 Oct issue DM) all I said was that she seems to be the only one who chips in with an opinion to the masses who shed their troubles into this forum. At least you've felt compelled to dive in so that's a good start.

If any of you sign into other dog forums you'll find there's far more banter , fiery discussion, diverse opinions and so on whereas this one seems to more of a cosy club with plenty of sensitive souls and soppy dog people who just like saying aaaawwww to cute doggy photographs.
marilyn

Postby paul » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:11 am

yes it is chilled sorry for not be as perfect as you are MY GIRL.
did you join just to try and fire things up or do you just like to belittle people
by pointing out spelling mistakes and calling them my boy,good god im forty bloody five.

if you dont like these cute doggy photos then wot would you like,dogs fighting.
look not every one is the same, but dont start putting a forum down and saying its full of soppy souls
just because it not the kind of site you like.
and yes i have been on other dog forums and some of them get way to political.

as for messing with dog breeds that is one that will go on and on.with most breeds being altered for the show ring
only,but im sure labradoodles started off being breed as guide dogs for people with allergies.or do we then
get on the debate about the morels of that.

and joe 90 as you call him was only asking a question,it was you that jumped all over him.

o by the way airdales are not that little.
paul

Postby Maddie » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:52 pm

I mentioned the curly-coated retriever, a breed that wasnt 'designed' for people allergic to dog hair.

I dont consider myself anyone's 'protector' either.

Many forums are a lot more fiery, its quite nice to find one that isnt, or perhaps thats about to change now, who knows!!
Maddie

Postby marilyn » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:51 pm

Forty ****** five Paul....still a boy - and mind your language now or the board will throw you off the forum - didn't you read the conditions before joining !?!? ( before you throw your lager glass through the skylight i'm only joking - sense of humour an' all that ) Hey lad I don't mind the odd cutie photo but it does get a bit nauseating after a while - don't you think ? Dog fighting !! - the scumbags should be locked up for a long time just like those who use dogs to chase and kill foxes, hares, stags and other living creatures who have as much right to a pain free existence as dogs.
And come on Mad I wasn't knocking your suggestion about the curly - coated retriever..just like I said to 'not so little airdale' man Paul, if its how they are naturally then fine - no big deal. I thought you looked intelligent enough to know what my point was ? Anyway I'll leave you to your murky world of dog shows and cosy chats on the forum and return to the rock and roll forums of good doggie debate.
Shame really because looking back over this one there's been some good people on here who seem to have gone walk about for quite a while - wonder if its for the same reasons ?
marilyn

Postby paul » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:29 pm

sorry marilyn strait from the can is how i like my larger and i cant throw it through the skylight,
it was boarded up last week.
o heres one for you where do you stand on the age that a dog should be breed?????????.
and thanks for saying at 45 im still a boy
paul

Next

Return to General Dog Chat